We see, hear and read about them everywhere, get them as a topping to our meals, smoothies, or even in our coffee:
Forget Popeye or the Power Rangers: our new superheroes are Matcha, Maca, Moringa, Wheat grass, Acai, Hemp, Cacao, Chia, Green Protein, Magic Berries, and Barley grass.
You can argue about this “hype” or think about it whatever you like. Fact is, that all of those “super foods” are completely natural, originally found either in form of seeds, leaves, or grasses, and can do just a little more than other plant based foods.
But what exactly?
Here is a little overview of most of them and what they can actually do for us:
ACAI: naturally high in fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, iron, calcium, polyphenols and anthocyanins (antioxidants), and omega 3,4 and 9
– Benefits skin, acts like an anti-aging shield due to high amount of antioxidants, strengthens immune system and conjunctive tissue
RECIPE idea: Add up to 2 table spoons to your favorite organic juice, smoothie or just a glass of water.
NOTE: Do not mix ACAI powder with any milk products (e.g. yogurt, milk etc.) as it makes it hard to digest.
BARLEY Grass: naturally high in fiber, chlorophyll, iron, protein, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), Vitamin B6 and B12, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and folate
– Benefits weight loss by de-acidifying our bodies, helps with digestion, detoxing our body, and strengthening our immune system
RECIPE idea: Mix 1-2 table spoons with warm milk (rice milk, almond milk..) or with simply water, or your favorite smoothie or juice
CHIA Seeds: naturally high in calcium, zinc, iron, fiber, phosphorous, copper, manganese, protein, and Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
– Benefits in weight loss due to their high amount of fiber (keeps you full longer), strengthen body tissue along joints and tendons, increase energy and endurance
RECIPE idea: Add 1-2 table spoons to your oatmeal, or make “gel” out of them by mixing them with water and oats and have them soak over night, or add up to 5 table spoons (1/3 cup) to your favorite smoothie or just water, then stir well and let them sit at least 10 minutes
HEMP Protein: naturally high amount of protein, fiber and iron, easy to digest, aids brain, heart, and kidney health, good for muscle regeneration and muscle building.
– Benefits especially active people, athletes, and vegans.
RECIPE idea: Add 3 table spoons to your smoothie, oatmeal, or mix it with oat, soy or almond milk.
MACA: naturally high amount of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Niacin (B3), fiber, iron, calcium, iron, manganese, copper, and potassium, natural source of protein and riboflavin.
– Benefits hormonal balance, boosts energy and libido, increases physical and mental power
RECIPE idea: Add 1 table spoon to your favorite smoothie, oatmeal, a glass of water or juice.
NOTE: Be careful when trying it for the 1st time. Start with teaspoon and increase intake slowly (max. 1 table spoon).
MORINGA: (one of the oldest healing foods and my personal favorite!) naturally high in fiber, Vitamin A, E, B6, B12, potassium, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), iron, phosphorous, and magnesium
– Benefits our bodies in so many ways, including balancing our hormones (especially due to malnutrition), fighting against free radicals, getting rid of toxins and other heavy metal laden, which is particularly important when trying to get off certain medicine/pills.
RECIPE idea: Mix 1 tea spoon (per day!) in your oatmeal, smoothie or juice.
Power COCOA: naturally high in Vitamin C, potassium, fiber, manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, natural source of Vitamin B6, protein, and calcium.
– Benefits mental power in your professional life and active lifestyle, strengthens immune system and increases mood (Chocolate makes us happy? Duuuuh! We knew that one! 🙂 )
RECIPE idea: add 2 table spoons to your favorite smoothie, almond-, -rice or oat milk, or simply to a glass of water.
NOTE: To keep all nutrients, please make sure to not heat it up too much.
RAW COCOA: natural source of omega 3 and 6 and calcium, high in fiber, magnesium, potassium, protein, copper, manganese, iron and zinc.
– Benefits vitality, mental power, ability to concentrate, and increases energy
RECIPE idea: Add up to 2 table spoons to your dessert, smoothie, or favorite almond, oat or rice milk drink. Ideal for a little energy kick during an afternoon slump! 🙂
WHEAT Grass: naturally high in fiber, protein, Vitamin A, thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), phosphorous, copper, magnesium, manganese, zinc and selenium
– Benefits detox, re-energizes and increases energy in general, and regulates acid-alkaline balance
RECIPE idea: My favorite coffee alternative in the afternoon in the office is 2 table spoons mixed with warm lactose free milk and loads of milk foam 🙂 YUMM! You can of course also add it to your smoothie, juice, oatmeal, or simply water. Enjoy a small slice of fresh orange afterwards to maximize the “boost” and taste!
So, I hope this little summary will help you find just the right topping or addition to any of your favorite smoothies, water, juice or breakfast (oat) meals. Just always remember, it’s ALL ABOUT BALANCE. Do and eat what makes you and your body feel good, energized, healthy and happy!
xo, Karen 🙂