2015 is only a few days away. Christmas is over, the time for family and good food, however, also a time to reflect and letting things go to open new ways. The new year is a new beginning, so over the past days, I’ve decided to write down old habits and worries in form of a “Don’t do” list for the new year 2015
… so here it is:
1. Caring about not being able to exercise every evening after work. Sometimes a walk or good book nourishes my mind and soul more than Pilates or yoga. And that’s totally okay.
2. Getting upset with myself for making a mistake. You know, if I’ve learned something (especially) over the past 2 years, then it’s that there are actually no mistakes. They are the unique characteristics of our “paintings” of life. Without mistakes, our paintings would not have curves, edges, or abstract colors. Plus, we wouldn’t learn and grow without them.
3. Buying things I don’t need or truly like. After moving several times, even between continents, I can definitely tell you that less is more. I used to buy stuff because it’s cute, funny, or just something I wasn’t too sure about. It’s really only heavy ballast which takes up space and valuable quality time, plus it creates responsibility because we have to take care of it.
4. Trying to control and plan everything. Let’s face it: life truly is what happens when you’re busy making other plans. Always was, always is, always will be. Especially when it comes to love: there is nothing we can force or plan. We can only believe and hope for the best.
5. Starting to read several different books at the same time. I don’t know about you, but I LOVE BOOKS. I love to smell them, to buy them, to archive and to read them. I’ve got so many books already because every time I enter a bookstore, I exit it with at least 1 or 2 books. However, I have issues to stick to one and finish it before I start the next one. Something I’ll work on.
6. “Trying” to be in the moment during meals. I admit it: I check my emails while eating breakfast. I do read magazines when I eat, too. It relaxes me and helps me stopping my mind from spinning while I eat. It sounds like a contradiction in terms but it works for me.
7. Feeling guilty for not having written something lately. It’s funny, but I have been beating myself up for not writing another article within the last two months. Some call it a “writers block,” others call it a “creative break.” I call it “time for making mistakes, reflecting about it, learning from it, and then writing about it.” So please bear with me.
8. Being stubborn and impatient with people that mean the world to me. Period.
9. Letting people control my thoughts and hindering me from being myself. I will no longer allow others to make me feel like an outsider or like I have to apologize for eating healthy, exercising, and not drinking alcohol. It’s fine if they don’t have the same lifestyle as me. I couldn’t care less. It’s their decision to feel uncomfortable or irritated by my lifestyle, not mine.
10. Procrastinating sending the manuscript of my own book to publishers any longer. It’s done, it’s my baby, but I have not send it out yet due to my fear of rejection. How stupid is that?
What’s your “Don’t Do” list for 2015? Looking forward to your items